Roasted Almond and Macadamia Nut Butter



Oh my word. This stuff is amazing... My new favourite thing to make with my NutriBullet. It is actually a problem, because every time we open the fridge, we take out a spoon (or two) of this delicious treat. You can adapt the recipe and make it with any nut of your choice, and you can play around with different flavours too. In this recipe, I added a bit of cinnamon and honey to it. Oh dear... I think it might not last the weekend!



Ingredients for around 1 cup of nut butter:
1 1/2 cups of nuts of your choice. I used 2/3 almonds and 1/3 macadamia nuts for this recipe
20ml oil. I used macadamia nut oil today, but coconut or almond oil is good too
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon of salt

You can choose to make a raw nut butter or to roast the nuts. I prefer the roasted nuts as they give a delicious flavour which is hard to beat.

To roast the nuts, I grilled the nuts for about 8 minutes until they had started to go a bit brown. I didn't bother turning them over - this worked perfectly. Allow the nuts to cool to room temperature.


Then, put the nuts in the NutriBullet, or other blender, and add the salt, oil, cinnamon and honey. These bits are all optional (except for the oil, which you need to assist with the blending). If you want a more runny butter, then add some more oil. I find it is a bit dry without the oil. Remember that coconut oil goes hard when the temperature is cool, so the butter will harden a bit if you use coconut oil and store it in the fridge. It still melts in your mouth though (or on a hot piece of toast)!


Blend the mixture together with the blending blade (not the milling blade) for about 30 seconds to roughly chop the nuts and begin to mix things a bit. Mine looked like this after 30 seconds of blending. You need to scrape down the sides of the cup with a spatula or a spoon to mix things around. Blend it again for another 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides. Repeat this process a few more times until you have a nice smooth butter. Mine took 4 times to get it nice and smooth.



Pour the butter into a glass jar and store it in the refrigerator. I bet you it won't last more than a week!